Julie's Dress Diaries

Herein lie my attempts at both blogging and creating period clothing for various locations and times of the Renaissance. Enjoy

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Old and Influencable....

Beth lent me her copy of "The Autobiography of Henry VIII : With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers." Its quite an enjoyable book, historical fiction (no, Henry didn't actually write it). I have no idea about the accuracy of certain details, but its a good read.

Anyway, he's constantly drinking wine flavored with woodruff. And what should I find at my local farmer's market last night....sweet woodruff plants! I couldn't resist, so one came home with me and was quickly used as an excuse to uncork a bottle.....

I actually think that the woodruff is traditionally used in white wine. But I didn't have the balls to commit to a 1500ml bottle (my only white)--I opted for a smaller 750 ml bottle of red. The presentation is quite pretty, and a really nice herbal flavor came out after a bit of "steeping."


wineplant

Next time I think i'll do a proper "may wine". A white german wine steeped overnight. And a friend of mine just told me that she does hers with white wine, woodruff, and strawberries!! steeped over night. Yup, definitely trying that. Its like renaissance sangria. ;)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I will die from fits of envy over you having sweet woodruff.

Teasing me, eh? You pose the wine on my coasters. I can almost dream I made my own woodruff wine from my own garden.

Pouting.

(btw, I think it is *very* cool you can do this)

10:58 AM  
Blogger Julebug said...

No worries. I'm gonna buy some for both you and Beth.

And just so you know, you're actually supposed to make the woodruff wine using dried woodruff (which is more fragrant), and its supposed to steep longer (overnightish?). Mine only steeped from the time it took to uncork the bottle and finish the glass. ;) I was excited. But i'll do it proper next time, i promise...

2:53 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Very cool! Woodruff is so pretty in the garden too. I'm pretty sure I saw some around here months ago, but didn't realize what it was and so didn't buy it. Many thanks!!

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home