Julie's Dress Diaries

Herein lie my attempts at both blogging and creating period clothing for various locations and times of the Renaissance. Enjoy

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Luxurious....

My new black silk satin:


I thought I was buying almost 7 yards of 54" wide, and had all these grand spanish gown plans.

Sadly, when it came it was only 4 yards at 45" wide....BUT, its still lovely, and I'll no doubt find a use for it. I was reimbursed for the diff in yardage and the inconvenience, and the final price including shipping was $5.55/yd. For silk satin, I couldn't hope to beat that, so i'm thrilled. Disappointed that its not enough to do the black slashed spanish gown, but still thrilled. Its a lovely piece of fabric--lighter weight, so i'll have to back it for support, but heavy enough that it takes slashing/pinking well:

silk slash Posted by Picasa

So now.....what do I use it for?! Surcoat (is 4 yds enough)? Fancy kirtle? Doublet? Convince hubby he wants all black fancy pants (fat chance of that--I already tried)?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahoy. I have no idea what to make out of the fabric, but I wanted to say Hi! I found your journal (can't remember how) and have been following along since the start of your flemish dress. I have a question for you: did you end up wearing the corded corset? I want to make my own flemish and am wondering :)
Thanks!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Julebug said...

Hi, Laura. Glad to see I didn't lose all my readers during my insanely long break :).
I actually didn't use the corded corset in the end. The bodice of my kirtle was lined with really sturdy white denim, and i found that it supported me enough without a corset (or additional boning, actually). The only boning in my flemish gown was along the lacing edges for strength. Its comfy!

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home