Julie's Dress Diaries

Herein lie my attempts at both blogging and creating period clothing for various locations and times of the Renaissance. Enjoy

Sunday, August 06, 2006

An Overdue Thank You

Last month, I recieved an absolutely splendid package from a fellow online costumer, Adele. (I hope you don't mind a public thank you!). Some of you may be familiar with her from the many online costuming groups she participates in, and her work is always lovely. She was very generous to offer me some goldworking materials from Berlin Embroidery when I expressed interest in various embroidery projects.

You can see all of the golden gifts below. The bottom-most one is gold metal. The best way I can describe it (since the picture didn't get much detail) is that its very thin gold wire coiled very tightly into a spring of "thread". Its quite heavy, and really beautiful. I very much appreicate having the chance to work with it so I can decide whether or not to go the "real gold" route for my future embroidery/goldwork projects. She included extra wonderfulness in the form of gold lace trim and two different gold (non metal) threads. I kinda feel like Scrooge MacDuck--anyone care for a swim? ;)


goldwork/trim

And, as if offering me precious metals were not kind enough, she decided to include some leftover material from one of her latest costuming projects, a jacobean style jacket. Here is an extant example of one, it was Margaret Laton's, and Adele's version is a very close and impressive copy of it.

The absolutely stunning fabric is here, alond with the beautiful card and yummy smelling lavender sachet from the package. I am pretty certain that there is enough fabric here for me to make a very similar jacket, and I'm absolutley thrilled by the prospect:

jacobean jacket fabric
I think I even have the wool I'd like to use as the skirt/kirtle for the complete outfit. My goal is to use September to make the entire outfit and wear it to festival the last weekend of the month. Hope I can do it!

But wait, there's more. Oh yes, Adele is not simply generous, she is generous to extremes! She also included some crosswoven gold/red silk, which comes off as a firey orange. And since orange is one of my favorite costuming colors, I, of course, love it! Best part? Four of the pieces are already cut out sleeve patterns! Something soon will definitely have orange lined sleeves. :)

orange silk

Adele--thank you so much, I haven't forgotten about you, and I will find a way to return your generosity! I'm wishing you oodles of good karma in the meantime.

4 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Oh marvelous! What beautiful fabric. I can't wait to see the jacket. You will be stylish in the extreme!

I'll be eagerly waiting to hear how working with the gold thread goes. It looks a bit tricky!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Julebug said...

I'm told that yes, it is quite tricky. Hope I can figure it out, but if not, Adele has offered me a short tutorial at the MD fest.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh fun. I'd love to be in on that! Speaking of which.....have I mentioned my growing desire to have a Tudor to wear to NC/MD? Ahem.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Julebug said...

What, a Tudor? Oh, what a surprise....

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home