Julie's Dress Diaries

Herein lie my attempts at both blogging and creating period clothing for various locations and times of the Renaissance. Enjoy

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Silky Goodness

I've been eyeing silk embroidery threads for sometime. Laren provided me with some very good advice, and I ended up purchasing several bundles of threads from an ebay seller for a reasonable price. I couldn't be more thrilled with how beautiful they are:


Taste the Rainbow!

The colors are beautiful, and the luster of the threads when I unwrapped them made very, VERY happy. The texture isn't what I expected (but I've never worked with silk before)--it’s easily snagged. I'm gonna have to give myself a good manicure/lotioning so my hangnails don't catch on it quite so easily ;)

I will say that the green bundle furthest to the left is a lot brighter than I anticipated, so I'm not sure how well it'll fit into my scheme--maybe as some highlights here and there. And I do wish I'd picked up a bundle of black (duh), but it completely slipped my mind.
My favorite is the orangey pinks on the right (me, like orange?! there's a surprise). Anywho, I know this is certainly not enough thread to do my whole crazy embroidered gown, but it’s a start--I wanted to make sure I liked them before buying too much. :)

Thanks for the recommendation, Laren!

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Those are gorgeous Julie. I believe my favorite might be the odd coppery color third from the right. Which is probably something else altogether due to the vaguaries of monitor settings, but it's really pretty on my computer anyway. Guess you'll have to do a motif to figure out how much thread this is going to take altogether, hm?

1:56 PM  
Blogger Julebug said...

Yeah, i like the third one in as my second favorite, actually. Its kinda all different shades of "straw", and really pretty good at approximating gold with that sheen.

I've found the actual motif from the surcoat of craziness (its been in janet arnold all this time! duh!), and its just a matter of me adapting it to my needs (ie, simplifying so I don't go TOO nuts).

I'll do a test run and keep track of how much thread it takes, and then i guess I'll have to make a fairly sizeable thread order...

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home