Julie's Dress Diaries

Herein lie my attempts at both blogging and creating period clothing for various locations and times of the Renaissance. Enjoy

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Christmas Goodies.

Well, Christmas seems to be a time where I ask for costuming goodies. :) And just like last year, I've been shamelessly spoiled!

First, my awesome mother-in-law gifted me with a new iron. You can see it here next to my old, weak, wussy-of-an-iron:

iron faceoff

Yup, my old iron was 1) small, 2) broken (couldn't turn it off or adjust the heat), and 3) deemed unsafe. The new model is digitized and turns off if I leave it on too long or if it tips over. Which is insanely useful for someone who has been known to leave the iron on for DAYS before noticing. And it irons so smoothly! I had no idea my old one was that crappy!

The crazy super-awesome costuming present of the day award, though, had to go to the dummy my hubby gave me. I think I shall call her Helga. Helga is a Uniquely You dressform, and after some research, I figured she was the best for costuming (since she is squishy and corsetable). I already put a corset on her to test--I couldn't resist.
But rather than post her here in flattering garb, I figured I'd embarrass her by showing nude photos of her and calling attention to her inhumanly pointy and perky boobs:


nekkid dummy

Those impossibly cone-like boobs were perhaps a bit embarrassing to open in front of the family on Christmas morning, but Helga made me super happy nonetheless!

And now, for Helga's modesty, a shot of her in her slipcover:

I haven't yet altered the slipcover to my own dimensions (which will be much lumpier than Helga's natural ones, no doubt), because the sewing machine is out of commission.

There's a little story behind that....

The sewing machine has a poltergeist. The spirit that inhabits it decided that it would like to sew at inconvenient times. Like when I have a project poised and ready but need to go downstairs for a moment. This leads to much cursing and seamripping when I return. But when the spirit decided to start when I was in the middle of threading a needle, it was the last straw. My finger got away unpierced, but frightened, so I sent Lady Janome to the maintenance shop for an exorcism. I'll hopefully have it back in a week or so--then I can recreate Helga in my own lumpy (and decidedly less perky) image.

I have more costume related Christmas goodies, but I shall have to take their pics and post them later.

Belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I think I'm afraid of Helga. I've never seen one of those without the slipcover. Egads.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Julebug said...

I was *this* close to naming her Madonna. ;)

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home