Julie's Dress Diaries

Herein lie my attempts at both blogging and creating period clothing for various locations and times of the Renaissance. Enjoy

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Goldwork for Beginners

Showing off more of my Christmas goodies.

A little backstory: My family was allowed to open one gift on Christmas Eve. Hubby's family were taught to wait for Christmas morning. But it seems my tradition has won in this case, probably because I nag poor Adam about opening gifts so much its best to just let me do so and have me shut up (for a little while, at least).

So on Christmas Eve, the gift he let me open was a tudor rose goldwork embroidery kit from Berlin Embroidery. Here are its many parts:


kit

I admit that I was most thrilled by the gold spangles (lower left edge of paper). Hooray for period sequins!!!! It has everything I need to do a sparkly tudor rose (but I bought the scrolling embroidery frame at Joann's), and a very good set of instructions for a beginner. This is very important, since I've never done goldwork before. I was inspired by an online friend, Adele, after she very kindly gifted me with some of her gold threads, but I had no idea where to begin. Hence the kit. :)

Here's a closeup of my attempts so far. Its imperfect (drat seperating on the petal edge, showing my yarns), but I'm still pretty happy with it so far:



More christmas goodies to come (I need blog fodder, afterall!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home