Julie's Dress Diaries

Herein lie my attempts at both blogging and creating period clothing for various locations and times of the Renaissance. Enjoy

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

More Underwears!

Just finished the red silk petticoat that I've been wanting. Its red silk dupioni, that I machine washed, so its not crisp silk anymore, more flowy. I kinda liked it better crisp, but I think having it be easily washable will make my future easier. The guards are a wine wool gabardine. I really like it paired with my jacobean jacket:

It looks pinker here than in person. The front has a bit of a swoopy wrinkle in it (funny how i'm ommitting that picture, eh?). I'm not quite sure how to fix that, and i'm also not sure if it bothers me enough to try. We shall see....


Blogger Beth said...

That looks lovely.

Is it a sort of u-shaped wrinkle in the front? I get that on my first try on most petticoats, and I've found that it means that you need more fabric in the front, especially when worn over a farthingale. The solution is either to regather it or to (cheat and0 put the waistband a little lower in front. The cheat doesn't always work, but it's what I did on one that only had a little wrinkle.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Julebug said...

Yup, its a small u-shaped deal. I might try lowering the waistband as you suggested. The problem is that I'm not sure it'll cover my farthingale all the way if I do. I'll have to play with it a bit. I actually might raise my farthingale hem a little at the same time--having it a bit shorter'd make it easier to walk. Those two together would solve the problem, probably. Its just more work. ;) Thanks for the suggestion.

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home