Julie's Dress Diaries

Herein lie my attempts at both blogging and creating period clothing for various locations and times of the Renaissance. Enjoy

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Orange is my favorite color!

Anytime someone asks me my favorite color, I think I give a different answer. But this weekend, at VARF rehearsal, for the purposes of filling out an "about you" form, I decided it would be orange.
And seeing as I deemed orange to be my favorite color of the moment, I'm posting a small homage to orange.

First, my new hat:

Its supposed to look like a spanish style, not quite a flatcap, but similar. Its a buckram and wire stiffened brim with a large circle of fabric pleated to it for the crown. And a beautiful huge ostrich feather courtesy of Auntie Tina, of course. Thank you again! Its comfy, stays on my head nicely (okay, its a bit tight, but nowhere near as tight as the mad hatter creation), and provides a bit of shade unlike the heart shaped bonnet. I'm going to reserve the bonnet for overcast days. I got tired of squinting at the NC faire.

Second, Beth and I have been talking about decorating our parasols for faire. The original plan was to cover in silk/fabric of some sort, but as faire starts next week, the quick fix was a bit of (orange, of course) paint and a period-ish looking stencil:

Not sure if you can see the stencil design well, so here's a closeup. Of course, I learned that I'm a fairly blobby stenciler. This is actually one of the best ones. ;)



I also worked on some jewelry bits last night, but those'll have to go up later, since they're not orange. ;)

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Funnily enough, I'd bought that same sheet of stencils! However, I was going to use a different one. And in black and red. So I think we're sufficiently similar but different! I really like the creamsicle sunshade.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Allessia said...

I love the parasol!!! And I'm totally with you in the sisterhood of the blobby stencils. That is not a talent I have at all for some reason

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool hat! Have you seen the website Per Mano Isabel at http://helois.250free.com She does spanish hats too.
Love the parasol too - gorgeous

11:26 PM  
Anonymous hcg diet said...

as long as we are doing what is right, nothing could possible go wrong..

3:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Microsoft's FrontPage carries a great deal of options but generally adds needless code on the pages it produces. This could boost web page loading days, specifically for all those who still access the internet utilizing a dial-up connection.

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Microsoft's FrontPage carries a great deal of options but generally adds needless code on the pages it produces. This could boost web page loading days, specifically for all those who still access the internet utilizing a dial-up connection.
webdesign

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home